Friday, July 6, 2012

Something Borrowed, Something Blogged

Our view of the fireworks on the Fourth.

In lieu of an update in the typical style of this blog, I've borrowed the idea of "Five Things Friday" from my only-through-the-interwebs friend Lauren over at Filing Jointly...Finally (I interviewed her, did a little write-up of the thing that was the result of two awkward girls Skyping, and she posted it on her very real, very awesome, actually popular blog, a blog that lots of people actually read - yikes - and thus, my first official guest post for someone Internet-famous.)

So.

Five Things Currently Happening in Kait's Apparently Uneventful Life:

1. A couple of weeks ago, I was hired to "teach"/wrangle/sing to* babies and their parents a handful of hours a week for slightly above minimum wage. Additionally, I spend many more unpaid hours at home memorizing songs and activities. I'm still figuring out how I feel about this, but luckily most of the kids are almost as cute as kittens or puppies. Almost.

2. After a second interview for another job opportunity and the requested submission of a writing sample a week and a half ago, I am still awaiting (read: agonizing over) contact regarding a decision. Especially agonizing is the fact that, at said second interview, it was mentioned that I should hear back, yea or nay, by the end of last week. I even did my due diligence by patiently watching week pass and sending a carefully-crafted follow-up email at the exact perfect hour and day. No response. I accept that I probably didn't score the position, but I would like - NEED - to know either way; I need to know I didn't imagine the interviews and that someone received and read my sample, and just one little emailed reply is all I crave. Is the midweek holiday interruption of work schedules to blame? Did I not scour my writing sample free of inappropriate words as I had thought? Am I ugly and worthless and failure personified (or, more accurately, does obsessing and lack of communication make me paranoid)?

(Yes.)

3. In the months I've been agonizing over my future and scheming and planning for all of it to be practically thrown over for a semi-related course of action with TESOL, I've let my savings dwindle past the point I swore I would never reach. I am horrified and have recently been finding myself paralyzed with said financial horror in the middle of the night (and the quiet mornings free of distraction) more and more. I know I'm still better off than a lot of the world's population, but I am so beyond uneasy with my situation, and it's increasingly difficult not to regret decisions that were - and still are - right long-term, but would have kept me quite financially comfortable for the last several months. It's just one more source of fuel for the anxiety fire.

4. I've fallen into a creativity hole, and am scraping its sides trying to climb out onto solid, inspired ground. To be fair to the hole, it's probably more of a ditch with sloping walls into which I've gradually wandered, but I didn't notice until the ground flattened with my artistic faculties.

5. On a good note: I am rocking the TESOL course. Classes began last Tuesday, and any apprehensions I had immediately dissipated. You guys, I am such a good nerd student. My note-taking is flawless and I'm already brimming with full-fledged ideas for lesson plans. We had an intensive grammar study over the weekend and have been reviewing this week, and while the  vast sea of grammar is riddled with eddies in the undertow and has several Bermuda-like triangles, I'm a language aficionado and love playing navigator. (The second TESOL course in the Fall is solely focused on grammar. I am so excited.) We definitely have a leg up on a lot of the material we're learning with our combined backgrounds in writing, editing, and education, but regardless, Adam and I will sail through this class.

And there you have it. Adam is as wonderful as ever, probably more so as he's the star witness to my crazies and therefore wins Best Friend for Life award daily, Eliot is a cuddly muffin, and I am trying to stay grateful for the many ways I am lucky, to stay positive in the face of certain negativity and uncertain whatevers. We did take a short trip to D.C. - my first time visiting the East Coast! - and it was a fun challenge to cram as much stuff and as many monuments/memorials/historic documents as possible into essentially less than 72 hours of actually being there. Once we've finished vetting photos, I'm sure a few will surface here. (And maybe the same will be done for Belize soon! Remember how I went to Belize in November and it was magical and I promised I'd write about it? Yeah. I'm sure that will still happen sometime.) Anyway, despite the Adult Problems, I'm pretty content, good things outweigh the not-so-good, and life is still happening - just one day at a time.

Le sigh.


*I've had to push through my fear of singing for an audience, but I've compartmentalized it a bit; singing songs about bubbles and ducks to the tune of 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' for 15 people - most of whom don't have the developmental capability to understand/judge me anyway - is oddly less scary than singing acoustic covers of Bon Iver or Frightened Rabbit with my guitar in the apartment with Adam or anyone else present.

7 comments:

  1. Mind if I keep you company in your creativity hole? Because seriously...ugh, can't think of anything to blog.

    Although I think you've just clambered out of said hole (if you were ever actually in it) with this post. Absolutely lovely to read. I'm so intrigued with the whole TESOL thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "lovely" I meant well-written and honest. Not that I think the fact that you are anxious about the job interview and such is lovely.

      Learn how to write LAUREN.

      Delete
    2. Haha thank you, Lauren! Don't worry; I figured the "lovely" usage wasn't a form of commenting sadism or anything. And please do join me in my creative hole - I've built a fort at the bottom with pillows and sheets, and I've outfitted it with unhealthy snack foods and classic literature. It's dark down here, but it's cozy and I don't want for tasty tidbits.

      I should probably write an actual post about TESOL so I'm not just throwing about random acronyms...

      Delete
  2. TESOL sounds fabulous! I love the fact you are so into grammar... I'm geeky like that too :D
    Good luck with the job thing - I totally appreciate your anxiety, loads of people just don't reply if you don't get the job which is quite perplexing. I hope you figure it all out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GRAMMARIANS UNITE! And thank you :) Anxiety is bad enough when it's only internally-fueled; I don't need outside help!

      Delete
  3. I feel you on the creative hole thing-big time. I havent felt inspired by much of anything in so long I'm starting to get "the fear". You know, that creeping fear that you will never feel inspired or creative or brilliant again? Yeah. I has that. Good luck, and awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. You are more than welcome to join me and Lauren in the creative hole as it is quite comfortable down there. You know what, though? I don't think you won't ever feel creative/inspired ever again; I believe that, while inspiration may come and go, someone is innately gifted with creativity or not, and you ARE. The creativity is in there, and it's just sleeping and hasn't (and will never) leave for good. It depends on you, not the other way around, so go get' em, tiger :)

      Delete